We all have faith. We can’t exist without it.
When you go out in the morning, you have faith that the bus will turn up, or the car will start. You have faith that the shops will be open. If you had no faith, you wouldn’t bother getting out of bed.
Of course, your faith is based on facts – it’s not blind faith.
Say you want to go into town. You could sit down by the side of a random road and wait for the right bus to come along – that would be blind faith. You’d probably be waiting a long time. Or you could look at the timetable and check where and when the bus goes, then go and wait at the bus stop at the right time – that’s faith based on facts. And that way you’d be much more likely to get to town.
The point is, as you stand and wait at the bus stop you don’t know for certain that the bus will turn up, but you have faith that it will, based on your knowledge of the facts.
The Christian’s life is based on faith. Not blind faith, but confident faith that’s based on knowledge and experience. Here is a short summary of the faith of the Christadelphians:
- We believe in God. He made everything and is the power behind the universe. Some people have faith that it all happened by chance, we have faith that it was designed and created. And not only did God make the world, with you and me on it – he has a purpose with us!
“For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.” Habakkuk 2:14
- We believe the Bible is the Word of God. Bible-beating has been a favourite pastime of cynics for hundreds of years, but time and again science, archaeology and fulfilled prophecies show that the Bible was right after all.
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” 2 Timothy 3:16
- We believe we need salvation. We are sinners, every one of us – it all goes back to Adam and Eve eating the forbidden fruit (remember the story of the Garden of Eden? We believe it’s true). That’s why there’s so much evil in the world. People are not basically good, they’re basically bad. That’s why Jesus Christ is at the centre of God’s plan for the earth …
“The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?” Jeremiah 17:9
- We believe in Jesus Christ, the son of God. He gave his life as a sacrifice for sins, to bring us back to God.
“God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16
- We believe in baptism. Baptism is when an adult decides that they want to become a follower of Jesus – what happens is they are completely dipped in water. By this they show that they want to ‘put to death’ their old way of life and be ‘born again’. It’s a picture of the death and raising to life again of Jesus.
“Therefore we were buried with him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.” Romans 6:4
- We believe that discipleship is a way of life. It is the way to fulfilment and peace of mind.
“Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is man’s all.” Ecclesiastes 12:13
- We believe in the Bible as the only authority in religious life. We don’t have beautiful buildings, priests or elaborate rituals. Our simple life of faith centres on prayer, “Pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17), daily reading of God’s word “Oh, how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day!” (Psalm 119:97), and the ‘breaking of bread’ (or ‘communion’) service which we hold once a week: “As often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till he comes.” 1 Corinthians 11:26
- We believe the Jews are God’s people. We’re not in any way supporters of the modern state of Israel, but we take a keen interest in the history and future of the Jewish people, because they are key to God’s purpose with the world.
“You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews.” John 4:22
- We believe that Jesus Christ will return to the earth. We will be judged according to what we have done with our lives.
“Many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, some to shame and everlasting contempt.” Daniel 12:2
- We believe in the future kingdom of God. Jesus Christ will reign on his rightful throne in Jerusalem over a worldwide and everlasting kingdom.
“Now it shall come to pass in the latter days, that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established on the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hill; and all nations shall flow to it.” Isaiah 2:2
Our faith is simple, straightforward and logical. It’s based on the Bible, and we have absolute trust in what the Bible says.
Imagine you’re walking down the street and you see a bunch of people waiting at a bus stop. You can’t see a bus, but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t coming. It means they’ve looked at the timetable and they know what they’re waiting for. They are acting in faith.
Imagine that this bunch of people is very happy and excited. Maybe you’d stop to see what they’re excited about?
If you want to know more, why not come and meet us this weekend at the Boat House in Burton? More details