We might be moving soon, God willing! We have just exchanged contracts for the purchase of the derelict Boat House on the banks of the River Trent (below).
A 130-year-old Burton church community is hoping to move premises this autumn for the first time in sixty years.
Burton Christadelphians have this week exchanged contracts on the purchase of the derelict Boat House in Stapenhill.
The community, who have had a presence in the town since the early 1880s, have outgrown their current premises, on Blackpool Street, where they have met since 1953. The exchange is subject to the planning permission for which they have recently applied, but things are looking promising for the move.
Although a relatively small, family based church, they have doubled in size over the last decade and have spent three years looking for a new site with more potential for the expanding congregation. Christadelphians, or ‘Brethren in Christ’, are a Bible-based community who believe and preach the gospel message from both Old and New Testaments, seeking to strip away additional teaching that many denominations have added over the years and get back to the basic Bible message. Christadelphians believe that Jesus will soon return to the earth to establish a Kingdom of peace and justice that will last forever.
The boathouse has operated as a restaurant and club for most of its existence, but the economic crisis has hit hard and it seems unlikely that a new restaurant could flourish on the site again in the foreseeable future.
This move means that the current Christadelphian hall, in Blackpool Street, is now back on the market. It is a venue which has already attracted considerable interest from potential buyers.